The University of Texas at Austin will provide utexas.edu subdomains for official university colleges, schools and departments (e.g., dellmedschool.utexas.edu); activities and events (e.g., commencement.utexas.edu); and university-wide services (e.g., lib.utexas.edu), provided they meet the guidelines outlined below and are approved by the University Communications Standards Committee (UCSC).
The UCSC oversees all domains within the utexas.edu namespace in order to ensure consistency and provide central oversight. These domains are administered by the UT Network Information Center (UTNIC) of Information Technology Services.
- The Office of the Vice President for Legal Affairs has directed that names are not assigned outside university organizational boundaries.
- Requests for third-level domains should clearly identify the requesting entity, avoiding the use of generic terms that could apply to multiple campus entities or services (i.e., a request for communications.utexas.edu would be rejected, as Texas includes Moody College of Communication, the Department of Communication Studies and the University Communications department).
- Acronyms are strongly discouraged and will almost always be rejected by the UCSC. Exceptions may be granted on rare occasions when the requesting party can document an industry standard or common usage within their field.
Domain Name Request Process
- Submit your domain name request by emailing email@example.com.
- In the subject line of your message please include ‘Domain Name Request’ followed by the domain being requested.
- Please include a brief explanation for your request and whether or not this is replacing a current domain.